Staying motivated can be difficult. It’s something that most of us struggle with and it can be a killer to our creativity. At the best of times there are enough distractions to keep us from focusing on getting our goals accomplished. We all like a box set binge on Netflix, a few hours on Call Of Duty or watching random cat videos on YouTube! It can also be more difficult to stay motivated especially if you think you’re not seeing the results you want from your music.
Whatever your art form is, making hip hop beats, rapping, singing with an acoustic guitar or any other kind of music it all takes perseverance.
Here are a few tips that will hopefully get you motivated and get the creativity flowing again!
- Make a list. Write down your goals and what you want to get done. If you feel a bit overwhelmed by the amount of things you need to do then write a list. Pen and paper is as simple as it needs to be. You can check off the list as you go and it will keep you organised and help you feel like you’ve achieved something.
- Turn off social media. If you’re writing lyrics or making a beat and you need your computer then close the tabs for your Facebook and other social media accounts. It won’t hurt you for a while to not check the latest tweets and most of all you won’t get distracted and end up looking at random posts for the next few hours!
- Give yourself breaks. Take a break now and again so you don’t get too tired. Especially if you’re working on a computer you need to keep your eyes and ears fresh. It’s also easy to get headaches from spending a lot of time at your PC/Mac/laptop. When taking a break though remember point two on the list!
- Create a clear workspace. Make sure the area you work is clear, tidy and you know where everything is. This will help you work fast and get your ideas down quickly.
- Be organised. If you make beats, have all your sounds ready to go for that session. If you rap or sing, have the beat or instrumental ready to play and something to write your lyrics on quickly.
- Get inspired. If you’re struggling to get creative or come up with the inspiration to finish making that beat or write your lyrics, leave it alone for a while. Go have a cup of tea (or coffee for my American friends!) and put on an album you love. Think about what specifically you love in that music, what gets you fired up and take that inspiration to your own tracks.
- Keep going. Don’t be too hard on yourself if things aren’t happening the way you planned. As artists and creative people we have a tendency to be our own worst critics. Keep practising, keep learning and improvement will come. It’s better to be doing something than nothing at all.
I hope this has given you a few ideas to kickstart your next great track or project. Drop us a message or comment if it has and I look forward to hearing your finished music!