Love to write lyrics? Here’s a few tips…
Do you love writing lyrics? Me personally it’s one of my favourite things to do, I get a buzz when the lyrics flow sweetly over a sick beat!
Whether you rap or sing the overall process of writing lyrics to a song is both rewarding and therapeutic. Everyone has a different way of writing so there is no golden rule, what works well for some people might not work at all for others. But there are a few things we can all do to help the process along. I’ve included a few tips here to help you out.
1. Always practice! It’s a boring one I know, but like anything you’re only going to get better the more you do things. Even if you finish it and you don’t like it you can improve on it with the next one you write. Jay Z said in an interview about writing songs and lyrics; “Basketball players play basketball their whole life, they practice every day. It only makes sense. You can only get better. The repetition. The more you do it, the better you do.”
2. Have an idea of the “theme” or specific subject you’re trying to write about. If you know what you’re trying to say to begin with the ideas relating to that topic will flow more freely.
3. Be creative! Don’t limit yourself by writing what you think other people want to hear! Write what feels natural to you and make it personal. People will relate more to your song if it’s heartfelt. It’s easy to tell if someone is just churning out the same old lyrical content!
4. Listen to your favourite songs and analyse them. Work out why they are your favourite and use similar techniques and tricks in your own songs. Don’t copy though! Refer to tip 3!
5. Think about the words you use. That might sound a bit obvious but nevertheless it’s still an important one. For example you don’t need a hundred words when ten will do, trying to cram words in for the sake of it will make the track seem cluttered. Also, the sounds the words make can be an important factor in keeping the listener interested. It’s not just the melody that’s catchy it’s the lyrics too. Get the right combo and you’ll have people humming your tunes all day!
I hope these few little tips have helped in some way and I’ll look forward to hearing you tracks soon. If you’ve got any tips you want to add then leave a comment below.